Florida Yards &
Neighborhoods (FYN)
...


FYN Principle #6 -
Control Yard Pests Responsibly


Did you know that only 1% of insects are considered pests on plants; the other 99% are either beneficial or harmless! For this reason, you should employ the principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM):

  • First identify the insect or problem (Charlotte County Master Gardeners can help you with this).

  • Then address the problem with the “safest and most effective” solutions available.

  • Pesticides should be the last option.

More Responsible Pest Management Tips

  • DO NOT indiscriminately treat for pests. Identify the specific pests and only treat the affected plant. For small infestations, simply remove the affected parts of the plant or the pests.

  • Don’t kill it unless you know what it is.

  • “When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest, we inherit their work.” -Carl Huffaker

  • Ladybugs, lacewings, praying mantises, assassin bugs, spiders and parasitic wasps are all beneficial insects that prey upon pests such as aphids and mealybugs.

  • Use environmentally friendly products and methods such as horticultural oils, insecticidal soaps, Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), removal of the affected plant part and introduction of beneficial insects.

 
  FYN Principles | Principle #1 | Principle #2 | Principle #3 | Principle #4
Principle #5 | Principle #6 | Principle #7 | Principle #8 |
Principle #9